Sunday, January 15, 2012

Efflux Pumps and Antibiotic Resistance

I was infected with an unknown protozoa parasite in which I developed Cushing's disease in which the adrenals were/are overreacting to produce adrenal hormones to combat the infection.  The adrenals stimulate several defense mechanisms to prevent the infection from killing me which includes antimicrobial peptides such as defensins.


This parasite took a great toll on me in various ways, I went from running a business to being bedridden for most of the day.  At this point I am reasonably functional but not near the point I was before and will not return to full functioning until the parasite is eradicated.   I am still amazed of how ignorant most are about parasitical diseases and more ignorant about protozoa parasites.   This is frustrating to me to say the least.   Perhaps the most frustrating is the notion that Americans are immune from parasitic infection, this was espoused by the CDC and this position is still held today by most physicians.  True, Americans are less prone to parasites as most parasites are transmitted through improper hygeine such as untreated water.  Water is a great vehicle (vector) for many protozoa species such as e. histolytica which tragically kills many people in third world countries.

Worms and flukes are typically transmitted via animals (undercooked meat) and fish.  And this is why I would never eat Sushi :(.   I do not trust others handling my food for me and carefully use safe handling practices as well as carefully sanitizing any fresh fruits and vegetables.   I believe that parasitic infection is much more of a problem than the medical system recognizes, part of that is the taboo nature of parasites, the second is the symptomatology of parasite infections.  The problem with parasitic infections is detection and recognition of the symptoms.   Many species will lay dormant in the intestinal tract causing no major problems, other species will cause a living hell.  This is due to host immunity and the parasite species infecting you.




I removed a roundworm infection using an herbal combination of neem, myrrh, boswellia and enteric coated oil of oregano.  I believe that the roundworms had been there since my teen years in which I developed some subtle problems.   The protozoa species came on like a vengence in which I began to develop strange symptoms such as anxiety, depression, joint pain, a sore throat and IBS.  I began to have severe problems with sleep, stress reactions, brain fog and cognitive issues.  Within 3 months of contracting the infection, I knew something was seriously wrong, I was sweating and felt tormented.   I began to have serious fatigue in which I was exercising regularly and could not longer do so, walking a quarter of a mile was taxing.  Just a few years earlier, I was attending US Army Airborne School which is no walk in the park. The parasitic infection caused my muscles  to hurt and could not raise my hands above my head to shampoo my hair.   I knew something was seriously wrong and knew I was in danger.   All the blood testing did not reveal the infection and typically screening will not, the only effective way is via PCR analysis and if you get lucky a standard stool test.

It has been up to me to do the research and the treatment strategy since the medical system refuses to treat based upon the unknown taxonomy of the parasite.   I have learned antimicrobial strategies that center around anti-protozoa agents which also include antibiotics.   I have been forced to obtain the drugs from legal sources.   I have also done many herbal antibiotic substances and self-adminstered ozone therapies all to no avail.

These parasites are quite resistant and have been able to attack them successfully a few times only to have them return.   In my forum at pptu.lefora.com, I have explored various treatment strategies and have done copious research on different strategies.   I developed a biofilm protocol that utilizes some natural substances.  It was my belief that the biofilm enviroment held the power of the antimicrobial resistance via the efflux pump.   I have now clarifed that the efflux pump can exist outside of the biofilm environment and now will be focusing on natural substances that bind the efflux pump.

The efflux pump is literally a pump that resides in the cells of certain organisms that job is to pump out any substance that threatens its survival.  Antibiotics of course threaten the pathogen.  Antimicrobial resistance has come into the light as a serious threat to mankind and many researchers have undertaken this to develop new strategies to disable the efflux pump.  It appears that many pharma agents are being developed but these are out of reach for me so I am researching natural substances.  So far I am finding a number of good candidates that include goldenseal, green tea and a few other herbs.   I am hoping to modify my antiprotozoa agent protocol to include efflux pump inhibitors so that I may finally eradicate this horrible infection.


No comments:

Post a Comment